Y+ Call for applications – Board Members
Are you a young person living with HIV who is passionate about making a difference in your community, country, region and globally? Apply now and be part of the Y+ Board.
Y+ seeks diversity of age, key population representation and gender on the Y+ Board. Through having one seat for individuals and another for organizations, Y+ hopes to strike a balance between creating space for the diverse participation of young people living with HIV (YPLHIV) communities, recognizing that not all YPLHIV are members of networks but also developing strong relationships with regional groups.
The deadline is extended for the North America region until Saturday 16th November 11.59 PM (GMT-8).
- Must be living with HIV
- Must be between 18-28 years old
- Must be a living within the region he or she is representing
- Y+ is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory environment that values diversity and inclusion and does not discriminate against any candidate to be part of Board based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, history of incarceration, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression.
- *Preference will be given to women and those who identify themselves as women including transgender individuals
- English proficiency required
- Experience working with adolescents and young people at the community, country or regional level on health issues
- Documented leadership abilities and commitment to advance the health and rights of YPLHIV
- Solid communication skills, including ease using e-communication platforms, Skype, etc.
- Skills in any of the following areas; medicine, research, advocacy and policy, service delivery.
- Must be able to provide a recommendation letter from a reputable local organization and network of YPLHIV in the country
What are the Board member responsibilities?
The Board’s responsibilities include, but is not limited to:
- Maintain ethical and transparent governance of Y+.
- Oversee and support the implementation of the work plan.
- Participation on the Y+ Board is voluntary.
- Attend virtual and face-to-face meetings of the Board and its working groups.
- Participate in the development and review of relevant policies related to the health, wellbeing, and rights of YPLHIV.
- Connect with the YPLHIV network or groups from their region.
- Provide input to GNP+ processes as they relate to YPLHIV (to be coordinated through the GNP+ Y+ liaison).
- As most communication will be email-based, respond to emails within 4 business days.
- Champion the values and goals of Y+ and not bring the board into disrepute.
- Disseminate updates from the Y+ network to national and regional networks.
- Provide regular updates regarding work relating to YPLHIV, including a quarterly written update.
- Relay on the Y+ representation protocol, attend meetings and events, when necessary in the representation of the Y+ Network, as determined by the Board through a transparent participant selection process and report back within 2 weeks counting down from the day one reached back home.
- Together with GNP+, develop technical support requirements that YPLHIV networks or groups need to effectively engage in local and global HIV responses based on needs and gaps that are evidenced-based; develop a technical assistance (TA) plan for the Y+ movement for partners to support nationally, regionally and globally.
- Recruit and support Y+ technical staff taking into account available resources.
- Annually review strategic documents (including, but not limited to, Memorandums of Understanding, Work Plans, Terms of Reference, Protocols, etc.)
What are the requirements?
- A letter of interest written in English that indicates vividly the following: (maximum of 500 words);
- Why do you want to be part of the Y+ Board?
- What are your experiences in advocating for the needs of adolescents and young people living with HIV?
- What is your vision of a global network of young people living with HIV and how would you contribute to strengthening the network?
- A letter of recommendation from a local organization
- Another letter of recommendation from a network of YPLHIV in your country (Optional)
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A copy of your international passport data page
How to apply?
All application details and requirements are to be submitted in these google form:
Deadline: 16 November 2019, 11.59 PM (GMT-8)
Our next face-to-face meeting will be in Rwanda 7 – 9th December (excluding travel dates). Applicants’ availability will not affect their application, but as successful applicants will be invited to this meeting, we wanted to give as much notice as possible. Expenses will be covered.